Although journaling seems to be the latest wellness 'trend', writing for your wellbeing isn't a new concept. For years, therapists have used journaling to help people heal from stresses and traumas, and a 2017 study even concluded that journaling can have a positive effect over time on our ability to handle stress. But why is it such a powerful therapy? Research has shown that writing down your thoughts and feelings offers an emotional catharsis, with the concept of ‘getting it off your chest' being therapeutic in itself.
Although journaling can be free-flowing and a great way to get all your thoughts down in one go, it can be daunting knowing where to start. If that sounds familiar, we encourage you to try Jodie's 5 journal prompts for mental wellbeing...
1. What daily practices support your mental wellbeing?
2. What small steps can you take to do more of those or start to prioritise them?
3. How do you show yourself kindness and compassion?
4. What boundaries could you set in relationships to safeguard your mental health?
5. On tough days, I want to remember that...
We’d love to know if you’ve found these prompts helpful! If you’re looking for more advice on all things mindfulness, head over to Jodie’s Instagram or you can visit her website to discover yoga classes and wellbeing workshops.